The Isles of Scilly golf course occupies the north west coastline of St Mary's and was carved, largely by hand, from cliff top scrub by farmers and a golf mad Dr Brushfield. It was designed by Horace Hutchinson, opening in 1904.
The course is a fusion of traditional links and gently sloping moorland with heather and gorse. There are generous fairways and small greens.
The length of the course is 5942yds with a par of 73 and comprises 9 holes with 18 tees. The signature hole, where down the years a number of 'aces' have been recorded, is the short 109yds 4th hole, which requires a short iron into a basin, from a gorse surrounded tee, spectacularly poised above the cliffs.
The course, from which there are panoramic views of inhabited islands, rocky outcrops and if you are lucky azure blue seas, can lean towards low scoring in benign conditions but when the wind blows, it's exposed nature makes golf a hard test. The ball tends to sit up invitingly on the fairways but holding the ball on the greens can be difficult due to their relatively small size.
The course green-keeping & maintenance is undertaken by a hardworking band of volunteer members, who can be relied upon to keep the course in tiptop condition throughout the year.
In 2010 a number of enterprising members constructed a bowling green, close to the clubhouse. Everyone is welcome, especially families and all the equipment is provided.